Subject: Re: ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+=opera-license
To: None <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/01/2000 10:18:21
On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> I'd prefer to have each licence in a *sigh* pkgsrc/licenses directory. (the
> "sigh" is for the spelling). Then when a new licence is added, its name goes
> into the mk.conf.example file, and a copy of the licence would be added to
> pkgsrc/licenses/<licence>. It would also be most handy to add the GPL (1 and
> 2) and the LGPL licences there, as well as the BSD licence.

How many unique licenses do you suppose there are? Consider that if
the author chooses to paraphrase the GPL for his own purposes, that's
a unique license. 50? 100? 500?

Who's asking for this, anyway? "pkgsrc" needs to know _something_
about the license -- at least enough to know whether it's OK to
mirror the source, but beyond that, why can't the user just unpack the
distribution and read the license himself?

--

Frederick