Subject: Re: ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+=opera-license
To: Jason R. Fink <jrf@diverge.org>
From: Alistair Crooks <AlistairCrooks@excite.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/01/2000 07:15:44
On Wed, 01 Nov 2000 12:56:04 +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>  >What might make the most sense (although I readily admit, it would
really
>  >be a pain in the arse) might be to use a system database like rcfiles
>  >to simply have YES NO options in them with an accompanying comment to
>  >explain what it is the user is mucking with, for example:
>  >
>  >sonefile.conf:
>  >
>  >section ACCEPTABLE_LICENSES+= \
>  > commercial="NO" # this controls acceptence of commercial lisc.
>  > artistic="YES"  * this controls acceptance of the artistic lic.
>  >...
>  >even though 9 out of 10 times the user will _read_the_docs_anyway_
>  >this goes a long way for the isolated user(s).
>
>  	basically the idea is to have more comment, right?
>  	how about this?  this will require no change to bsd.pkg.mk.

I believe that it's not just more comment - I'd much prefer the actual text
of the licence itself, since any text I added to summarise the licence may
be woefully inadequate, legally incorrect and/or misleading, and thereby
more harm than it's worth.

I'd prefer to have each licence in a *sigh* pkgsrc/licenses directory. (the
"sigh" is for the spelling). Then when a new licence is added, its name goes
into the mk.conf.example file, and a copy of the licence would be added to
pkgsrc/licenses/<licence>. It would also be most handy to add the GPL (1 and
2) and the LGPL licences there, as well as the BSD licence.

Regards,
Alistair

--
Alistair Crooks (agc@pkgsrc.org)