Subject: Re: devel/libtool and Re: KDE 2 is out
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@excite.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/24/2000 06:49:07
[Hubert, sorry if you've already got a similar mail to this. I thought I'd
sent it but its not come back from tech-pkg... here goes again]

On Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:09:49 +0200 (MET DST), Hubert Feyrer wrote:

>  On Tue, 24 Oct 2000, Nick Hudson wrote:
>  > I am working on them and I've got compiling packages for support, libs,
>  > and base. I'd like to make changes to bsd.pkg.mk and devel/libtool to
>  > help out though.
>
>  What changes to bsd.pkg.mk?

Add a definition of CXX when HAS_CONFIGURE is defined, e.g.

.if defined(HAS_CONFIGURE)
	${_PKG_SILENT}${_PKG_DEBUG}cd ${WRKSRC} && ${SETENV} \
	    CC="${CC}" ac_cv_path_CC="${CC}" CFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" \
	    CXX="${CXX}" ac_cv_path_CXX="${CXX}" CXXFLAGS="${CXXFLAGS}" \
	    ${CONFIGURE_ENV} ${CONFIGURE_SCRIPT} ${CONFIGURE_ARGS}
.endif

BTW, what does the ac_cv_path_CC definition do? The configure script I
looked though only refers to an ac_cv_prog_CC variable... anyway.

>  > Reading the discussion about Python 2.0 I'm tempted to just upgrade
>  > devel/libtool and sort any (likely to be small) breakage out. What do
>  > you think?
>
>  Maybe talk to Ty about that - he's our Python man. :)
>
>  My personal view is: libtool is a pkg that a big number of packages
depend
>  on, and as much as improvements are, I'm always a bit afraid that what
>  fixes one pkg breaks a dozend others...

I'm cautious too. I'm fairly confident though that nothing will break in
very bad ways. I have compiled KDE1 and dependencies with the new libtool
with only one small build change.

Nick
ps. Are you still running bulk builds or have you stopped now the freeze is
over?
--
aka skrll@netbsd.org, nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite UK
 Visit http://inbox.excite.co.uk/