Subject: Re: Sub package proposal
To: None <takemura@netbsd.org>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/23/2000 12:21:17
> The basic idea is that I want to install a part of a package. Mostly,
> I need man pages but I don't need document files. To do that, I want
> to introduce 'sub package'. We have to define some 'pre-defined sub
> packages', for example,
(snip)

If I install 'core' and 'doc' of 'archivers/arc', what is registered
as installed, that is, how does it look like under /var/db/pkg? Like
'arc-5.21e'? Or 'arc-5.21e-core' and 'arc-5.21e-doc'?

And how dependency will be solved?

I think, if making dependency problem solved cleanly, each
(sub)package (meaning the smallest term which can be installed) should
have static PLIST. Or to find a required file, it is needed to peek
into the /var/db/pkg/*/+CONTENT files. This looks ugly to me.

(This reminds me of Debian's package system, which divides/classifies
each package into some pieces, though I have not used it yet.)

Masao Uebayashi