Subject: Re: Libtool on NetBSD/ELF
To: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/06/2000 11:25:25
On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Nick Hudson wrote:

: So I got a little bit of time to check these things...
:
: > It used to set soname -- there's something changed in that; the existence of
: > soname was (in libtool pre-1.3 CVS) determined by a different option.
:
: It still is: archive_cmds.

OK; I thought it was still there.  The extra symlinks are also not part of
version_type, fortunately.

: > Perhaps we need to invent a "netbsd" version_type?
:
: If we want teeny number support then I believe a "netbsd" version_type
: is the way to go.
:
: So do we want teeny number support?

It's probably be Nice, if we base on the sunos convention.  Basically, I'd
like to see it still produce sane library names even in the face of
"-release", because -release _is_ used by many packages and its messy
library naming scheme used on, say, Linux, cannot be used for both ELF and
a.out uniformly.  Historically, the "sunos" version_type fixed this for us
perfectly.

Since FreeBSD has their own version_type, why not NetBSD, I say!?  :)
If you have the time to make such a change, please do, and post diffs so we
can see the results.  That approach sounds promising.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/