Subject: Re: Package anon ftp login.
To: Eric Fox <eric@fox.phoenix.az.us>
From: Alistair Crooks <AlistairCrooks@excite.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/06/2000 02:43:11
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 20:17:42 -0700 (MST), Eric Fox wrote:

>  Actually, what I'd find much more usefull would be the ability to perform
>  ftp's through a web proxy when performing a 'make' in pkgsrc.
>
>  So far, I've set the environment variables http_proxy, https_proxy, and
>  ftp_proxy to the proxy server.  This appears to sort-of work, because the
>  FTP process stops and asks for a proxy username and password, but then it
>  fails.

Sounds like you have a weird proxy there.

Can you try it from the command line? Something like:

env  http_proxy=http://myproxyname:myproxyport/ ftp -d
http://www.netbsd.org/index.html

and see what happens?

(I've been using Luke's ftp client to go through three separate different
proxies at different employers over the years, and it's worked fine every
time, modulo progress bars aren't available on ftp transfers going through
some proxies.)

Regards,
Alistair

--