Subject: Re: Libtool on NetBSD/ELF
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Steinar Hamre <steinarh@stud.fim.ntnu.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/2000 17:20:59
Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> On 2 Oct 2000, Steinar Hamre wrote:
>
> : I think you should. Currenly `sunos' is used for NetBSD/aout and elf.
> : version_type=sunos is *not* meant for ELF, and does not set any soname
> : at all! (you do not get *any* versioning).
>
> It used to set soname -- there's something changed in that; the existence of
> soname was (in libtool pre-1.3 CVS) determined by a different option.
> Perhaps we need to invent a "netbsd" version_type?

Please do. Anything is better then the current situation. How do you
want it to be?

> Libtool needs to create libraries with IDENTICAL naming on a.out and ELF for
> uniformity.  If it creates teeny versions on one platform, it needs to
> create teeny versions on the other.
>
> : version_type=linux generates libaries in the same manner as the NetBSD
> : base system,
>
> Try "-release", NOT "-version-info", before you say that.

"-release" is general stupidity generated by the libtool people.
"-release" does _not_ replace "-version-info". Nor has "-release"
anything with version_type to do. "-release" effectivly generates a
library with another name. You can not get rid of the "-release"
stupidity in any way, nor du you want to because you would have to
rewrite the versioning in every single piece of softwate that depend
on this "feature".

I'll still say that version_type=linux generates libaries in the same
manner as the NetBSD base system. And it is probably best to go for
that option because it's well supported, works on a large number of
platforms, and use ELF semantics.

	Steinar