Subject: Re: Libtool on NetBSD/ELF
To: Steinar Hamre <steinarh@stud.fim.ntnu.no>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/02/2000 10:54:17
On 2 Oct 2000, Steinar Hamre wrote:

: I think you should. Currenly `sunos' is used for NetBSD/aout and elf.
: version_type=sunos is *not* meant for ELF, and does not set any soname
: at all! (you do not get *any* versioning).

It used to set soname -- there's something changed in that; the existence of
soname was (in libtool pre-1.3 CVS) determined by a different option.
Perhaps we need to invent a "netbsd" version_type?

Libtool needs to create libraries with IDENTICAL naming on a.out and ELF for
uniformity.  If it creates teeny versions on one platform, it needs to
create teeny versions on the other.

: version_type=linux generates libaries in the same manner as the NetBSD
: base system,

Try "-release", NOT "-version-info", before you say that.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/