Subject: Re: Makefile style?
To: None <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/27/2000 18:13:09
On Wed, 27 Sep 2000, Alistair Crooks wrote:

> >  Here is a list of Makefiles which have if-statements after including
> >  bsd.pkg.mk.  Some of them depends on valiables defined in bsd.pkg.mk
> >  (NEED_NCURSES, e.g.) and they cannot be easily converted.
> >  But most of them doesn't seem to need ifs after inclusion of bsd.pkg.mk.

> >  cross/binutils/Makefile

The '.if defined(EXTRACT_USING_PAX)' could probably go above
bsd.prefs.mk. The preceding '!=' clause is probably after bsd.pkg.mk
so it won't be evaluated multiple times with recursive make's. I think
the preferred way goes something like...

.if !defined(ENABLE_TARGETS_LIST)
ENABLE_TARGETS_LIST!=	...
MAKEFLAGS+= ENABLE_TARGETS_LIST=${ENABLE_TARGETS_LIST}
.endif

assumming  that it works.

> >  www/lynx-current/Makefile
> >  www/lynx/Makefile

This needs to be the way it is. SSLBASE is set in bsd.pkg.mk depending
on a certain particular about the build system--it's not a user preference.

Frederick