Subject: kdebase/alpha: toolchain problem?
To: None <port-alpha@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@feyrer.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/25/2000 05:46:03
I've looked into why kdebase doesn't compile on alpha tonight. The
problematic program is a "Hello world" like example that calls some
functions from qt1/kdelibs to print some string values. See the kdebase
configure script, search for "checking for KDE headers installed".

The program during normal compilation, and after a lot of poking around
(including making debug-qt1, ...), I found out that:

1. using libtool & dynamic (default) linking, it dumps core
2. using no libtool & dynamic (default) linking, it dumps core
3. using no libtool & -static linking, it works.
   Used flags here were: g++ -static -g -O2 ...

So, what's going on here? Is the alpha toolchain known to have problems?
This is on a system running NetBSD/alpha 1.5E from ~4 weeks ago.

 - Hubert