Subject: Re: libtool & intra-library linking
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/2000 13:53:48
On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Sep 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> : They don't seem to work on 1.4.3/m68k. You can't link anything with
> : "-lXt", for example, without also linking in "-lSM -lICE" manually.
> : (See PR pkg/9971, for one.)
>
> Now, there is a bug regarding the old ld not warning about missing symbols
> in every case, but it does create the goop to make interlibrary dependencies
> work.  This looks like XF86 (xsrc) isn't doing the proper dependencies at
> libXt.so's link time.

It looks likes Shared*Reqs are only defined, in bsdLib.tmpl,
conditionally on ELF. Maybe no one thought to try it on a.out.
I'll try building xsrc with the defines moved outside of "#ifndef
UseElfFormat ... #else ... #endif", and see what happens.

What about "ldd"?

root@1ton-> ldd /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0
ldd: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXt.so.6.0: not a dynamic executable

For interlibrary depencies on a.out to be A-OK, "ldd" should grok
them, too.