Subject: Re: libtool & intra-library linking
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/20/2000 19:40:36
Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Nick Hudson wrote:
>
> : Unfortunately 1.3c doesn't support NetBSD properly or doesn't for all
> : platforms.
>
> : It does work on NetBSD/i386 ELF as I've beed working with the
> : libtool guys to get it to work. The last patch went in last weekend.
>
> Then something needs to be fixed for a.out.  The NetBSD a.out format
> supports both interlibrary dependencies and rpaths....

I am working on it when I can and hopefully now, after the ELF work, the
changes should be very simple. Unfortunately I think I've uncovered a
bug (see PR/10960) that'll mean that the test suite will fail.

> : iii) Commit a new libtool (I have a pkg already for the cvs version of
> : libtool) and use this.
>
> I'd vote for this option, as we have many packages in the tree that
> "override" libtool in order to fix a problem like this.

If we follow this route the new libtool needs testing on all the
platforms - something I can't do unless I get access to the build lab or
other non-i386 machines. I think we'll have to do something like
USE_OLDLIBTOOL/USE_LIBTOOL also - again.

Although I'm tempted to suggest the multi-language branch as the next
pkgsrc libtool. It also passes all tests for i386/ELF and gives us much
more control over the link options, i.e. when crtbegin.o, crtend.o et al
are linked in. This would mean that bsd.lib.mk can be mirrored fairly
easily in ML libtool.

Nick