Subject: Re: little question about rxvt
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/18/2000 00:32:10
Rui-Xiang Guo <rxg@ms25.url.com.tw> typed:
:Why not use the CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --with-encoding=(big5, kanji ..) in
:Makefile for multi language support?

The x11/rxvt package shouldn't have this.  Adding multi-language support
adds quite a bit to memory usage, especially if you use a large scrollback
buffer (well, this is only true on machines which handles 16bit types
differently to 32bit types - x86/m68k/etc).  I thought at one stage we
had japanese/kxvt though I don't see it now (maybe my memory's from the
FreeBSD ports/package set).  I'd suggest a seperate package for a
multi-language version; and we only have japanese as a separate package
category though the multi-language version of rxvt supports several
encodings from one binary.  Also note, you need
    CONFIGURE_ARGS+= --enable-languages
not --with-encoding to enable multi-language support and --with-encoding
defaults to euc-j if it's not specified.

Regards,
--
Geoff Wing : <gcw@pobox.com>
Rxvt Stuff : <gcw@rxvt.org>