Subject: Re: Proper upgrade methods?
To: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/13/2000 19:21:44
On Wed, 13 Sep 2000, David Maxwell wrote:

> I update my pkgsrc tree via sup.
> I find a new package that I want to install.
> It requires a newer version of something that I already have installed (tcl/tk in
> 	the one I just hit)
> The install halts.
>
> What's the proper thing to do if I simply want to install this package, and
> have all required updates installed too?

cd lang/tcl; make update

Maybe.

If you have more than one "bottom-level" package that's out-of-date
enough to require updating, there's no fully automated way to do it.

What I usually do: 1) Update pkgtools/pkglint, run "lintpkgsrc -ior"
to remove old distfiles and report on the out-of-date installed
packages and write them down. 2) "pkg_delete -r" all "bottom-level"
packages -- the ones that I know are pulled in by many other packages,
like perl, lesstif, tk. 3) Repeat as necessary 4) Go to the
"top-level" packages, and either "make update" or "make deinstall &&
make package", followed by "make clean-depends && make clean".

When upgrading most or all of the packages (like after upgrading to a
new NetBSD release), I run "xargs" with some ad-hoc scripts over the
list (the output of pkg_info). I don't have anything finished enough
to show, though.

Hope that helps.

Frederick