Subject: Re: gnome vs. xscreensaver [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Dan Winship <danw@helixcode.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/11/2000 10:42:32
On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Dan Winship wrote:

> > > But
> > > the GNOME people don't like the one Jamie wrote because its interface
> > > to configuring the hacks is "edit this command line".
> >
> > What command line?
>
> In the original applet (from control-center), you can click on a
> screen saver, and click the "... Settings" button under the list, and
> get a dialog box with checkboxes and sliders and such for tweaking its
> options. In the new one (from xscreensaver-gnome), you click on a
> screen saver and get a command line that you can edit to change the
> options.
>
> (At least, that's what I see with control-center-1.2.0 and
> xscreensaver-gnome-3.25.)

Ah, yes. Jamie's xscreensaver-demo has a "Documentation" button that
opens up the man page, and then you're supposed to use that
information to edit the command line. You can still disable and enable
individual hacks with a button click, which is what I mostly use the
controls for. IIRC, with the older one, the "Demo" button didn't work,
and you had to play with the sliders, and then, to see what they
actually do, set the time-out short and hold the mouse real still. I'm
OK with Jamie's -- what do you think?

Frederick