Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/08/2000 08:47:25
On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	We have two dependencies - the existing build dependencies, and
> 	the 'binary' set.
> 	eg: build may be lib>=1.1, and if you build against 1.1 then
> 	then binary dependencies are lib>=1.1. But if you build against
> 	1.2 then binary dependencies should be lib>=1.2

Ahh. That's an idea worth considering. So for dependencies on
libraries, we would prefer ">=" wildcards to "-*" wildcards?

I'm also concerned about what happens when the library evolves to the
point where it finally breaks backwards compatability. The only thing
we can do for that, I think, is to compile a database of binary
packages which are affected. It's not enough to just remove them from
the server, because users could have them already on their hard
drives, or pressed onto a CD.