Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/2000 12:23:10
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > For most of bsd.pkg.mk, DEPENDS -> BUILD_DEPENDS, so that you don't
> > ever need to install the RUN_DEPENDS to build a package. For the
>
> This is exactly the reason RUN_DEPENDS went away: in order to run the
> package after "make install" (which is needed for a "make package", as you
> know), you have to install the RUN_DEPENDS next to be able to use it.

In the binary package, the RUN_DEPENDS becomes equivalent to DEPENDS.
So if you did a "make package && make deinstall" and then "pkg_add foo",
it would pull in the right dependencies to run the package.

> I don't think this is worth the effort to get pkg upgrading right.
> IMHO, binary pkgs is the way to go. (But i'm pretty lonely there, I know)

But in order to use binary packages, you have to build them. If I'm
building binary packages for my lapdog, why should I have to install
any more junk, on the build machine, than I need to?

Frederick