Subject: Re: When DEPENDS can be upgraded in place
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 09/04/2000 17:13:45
On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> For most of bsd.pkg.mk, DEPENDS -> BUILD_DEPENDS, so that you don't
> ever need to install the RUN_DEPENDS to build a package. For the

This is exactly the reason RUN_DEPENDS went away: in order to run the
package after "make install" (which is needed for a "make package", as you
know), you have to install the RUN_DEPENDS next to be able to use it.

I don't think this is worth the effort to get pkg upgrading right.
IMHO, binary pkgs is the way to go. (But i'm pretty lonely there, I know)

 - Hubert

--
*** Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
*** FB Informatik, FH Regensburg, Pruefeningerstr. 58, 93048 Regensburg