Subject: Re: USE_SSH, comments please
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/24/2000 15:43:19
On Thu, 24 Aug 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> .if defined(USE_SSH)
> # first provide defaults.  If we have ssh in the base system
> # use that as a default, otherwise use the security/ssh package
> # as a default.
> .if exists(/usr/bin/ssh)
> PKG_SSH?=	/usr/bin/ssh
> .else
> PKG_SSH?=	ssh
> .endif

Probably, "openssh" should be the default. That's closer to what we're
eventually going to get in the base system. We could use "ssh" for
any architectures for which "openssh" is known to be broken.

This also looks a little twisty to me, in that PKG_SSH can be
set to either a package name, or a full path. How about...

.if defined(USE_SSH)
.if exists(/usr/bin/ssh)
SSH=		/usr/bin/ssh
.else
SSH=		${LOCALBASE}/bin/ssh
PKG_SSH?=	openssh
DEPENDS+=	${PKG_SSH}-*:../../security/${PKG_SSH}
.endif
.endif

?

Also, probably best not to force ${SSH} into "MAKE_ENV". Do all the
packages that need "ssh" respect the environment variable? If so, then
maybe it's OK.