Subject: Re: libtool and sparc/1.4
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/24/2000 21:54:18
> > i)	pull up the bsd.lib.mk change to the netbsd-1-4 branch
> > 	for 1.4.3 and require 1.4 users to update to 1.4.3 when
> > 	it becomes available. This should fix all the problems.
>
> this has some problems we've run into.

Compiling all libs with -fPIC requires a rewrite of all the
assembly stubs in the various libraries to use PIC type
relocation and not pic type relocation.  I started on this (did
not finish), but I think that's a too large change to introduce
this late in the release cycle for this point release.

> However, the change to basesrc/lib/csu/c++/Makefile (which is
> actually what makes /usr/lib/c++rt0.o be -fPIC vs pic),
> _should_ (I think) be ok.

Right.  I'm currently testing this.

However, I think that libstdc++ also needs to be compiled -fPIC
in that case, since for some reason it includes c++rt0.o on
a.out, and all the objs in a shared lib must be compiled with the
same relocation.  (I'm still a little uncertain whether all
shared libs used by an executable on sparc/a.out needs to use the
same the same relocation -- maybe not.)

> I've simply replaced /usr/lib/c++rt0.o on my 1.4.x sparcs with a -fPIC
> version which is available on
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/sparc/c++/
>
> That seems to fix everything except for pthreads which I just noted.

How did you get libstdc++ to build?

- H=E5vard