Subject: libtool and sparc/1.4
To: None <port-sparc@netbsd.org, tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/24/2000 19:19:49
It would seem that libtool-1.3.5nb4 breaks linking of shared
libraries(see PR/10846, PR/10190) on sparc 1.4. As I put in place the
bit that broke the builds then I felt as though I should address the
problem. The problem (I believe) stems from the fact that
/usr/lib/c++rt0.o is compiled -fpic whereas libtool compiles everything
-fPIC. This isn't a problem in current because sparc toolchain is now
ELF and -fpic no longer exists in bsd.lib.mk

I see the following possible solutions.

i)	pull up the bsd.lib.mk change to the netbsd-1-4 branch for 1.4.3 and
	require 1.4 users to update to 1.4.3 when it becomes available. This
	should fix all the problems.

ii) 	change libtool to avoid the inclusion of /usr/lib/c++rt0.o for
	sparc/a.out and mark the packages that require it as broken.

iii)	mark all USE_LIBTOOL packages as broken on sparc/a.out.

Opinions?

Nick