Subject: Re: pkg/10835: Package upgrade procedure sucks
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 08/16/2000 12:40:24
On Wed, 16 Aug 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	One thing that shouldn't disrupt anything would be to run a
> 	'download everything' pass _before_ deleting anything.
>
> 	For those who have the disk space and time to burn, how about
> 	an option to build everything in a chroot'ed environment,
> 	including making binary packages. The upgrade pass could then be
> 	a 'pkg_delete ...', followed by 'pkg_add ...'. Note - this would
> 	be an option...

something like this might not be bad anyway.  OpenBSD has implemented
something they call "fake" which when building a binary pkg, installs to a
fake dir (I haven't looked to see if its done via chroot).  Then the PLIST
is used to tar up the result.  They did it to avoid stuff being installed
that wasn't correctly listed in PLIST.  But such a thing might be good, as
you suggest, for upgrades.

-Dan