Subject: Re: Communicator-4.73 widgets not displayed correctly
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/08/2000 01:12:43
Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> this may be a stupid question... When running Netscape
> Communicator-4.73 in a 24bit colour environment it will display its
> widgets in two colours only - namely black and grey.

  This is a problem between the Motif library Netscape is statically
linked against and XFree86 3.x.  The library only knows about 1, 8, 16,
and 32 bits of display depth, while XFree offers 24 bit only if your bpp
is 24.  So Netscape falls back to black and white (1 bit).

  The solution is either to use a 32 bit mode, to patch XFree (there is
a patch somewhere out there that transforms 32 bit to 24 bit), or to
upgrade XFree86 to 4.x.  Personally my experience with that patch is
that it slows down the system a bit, and it has some problems with other
programs (I can't remember the exact details, it's been a while).  So
the best solution is probably either to go with 32 bits or upgrade XFree
to 4.01.

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene