Subject: Re: cgi-lib.pl
To: Andrew Brown <atatat@atatdot.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/07/2000 08:41:57
On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Andrew Brown wrote:

> this is the *one* thing that never made it into the perl 4
> distribution that probably should have, if only because so many things
> depend on it.  i can't imagine a package...it's pretty dead.  the
> package would consist of simply "where do i get the file" and then
> "where do i put it".

Au contrair! While you're right that it'd be a rather simple package -
download, rename, and copy to install, that doesn't mean it'd be a dead
package. :-)

Firstly, if you're using perl as a package, then you really want to be
putting it in /usr/pkg, and everything in there should be in a package's
PLIST. :-)

One advantage of a package is it makes it REAL easy to get something
installed. I know lots about making kernel subsystems, but I'm not that up
to speed on web servers & perl front-ends to databases. But with the
package system, I just cd'd to a few directories, did make && make
install, and now things are setup (I think). :-)

Another is that packages can then depend on it, and it will be in a
standard place. :-)

> i've stuffed a copy of what i've got by that name at
>
>    ftp://ftp.daemon.org/cgi-lib.pl
>
> for your amusement.  fwiw, i've basically dropped it myself, and
> maintain my own routines that do pretty much the same thing but with a
> different api.  it was nice, but i got tired of it.

Thanks!

Bill