Subject: Re: xditview package, but no idea how to use it
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/24/2000 23:24:40
    Date:        Sat, 24 Jun 2000 01:22:08 -0400
    From:        "Johnny C. Lam" <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>

  | Just so I can close an "ancient" PR, I made a xditview package as per
  | pkg/2393.

It compiles OK, but that's it...

  | However, I really have no idea how to test it because I
  | don't know how to use it.

Under separate cover, I'll send you a Device Independent Troff
output file (a real one, not a gnu equivalent...)

However, I think I'd just close the PR, mark it as no longer
relevant.  The xditview that is included (with groff that is
in the base (or gnu) or X11R6 sets works just fine already,
and obviously must compile OK.   While moving it to pkgsrc
might have some advantages (the number of people who still have
DITroff must be diminishing rapidly - I had to hunt hard to find
a system which would still run it, and then engage in some creative
NFS mounts and symbolic links...) so being able to ignore xditview
is probably not a bad idea.

If it is moved to pkgsrc though, it ought to be installed as xditview
not as gxditview.

  | Can anyone else look at it and
  | perhaps tell me if it's okay to commit?

For me, it complains about DESCR not being found - but that may be because
I don't actually have DITroff (which uses the DESCR file as a description
of the output device) installed on any NetBSD systems.   I suppose I could
find its source someplace, and do that if there is really some demand for
this...

On the other hand, xditview works just fine as it is, so the problem might
just be that your pkgsrc (gxditview) is looking for it in the wrong place
(compare the pkgsrc version to the regular one...  sorry, I don't have more
time for this 99.9% irrelevant program...)

kre