Subject: Re: skill package changes for NetBSD >= 1.5
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/23/2000 13:13:20
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Simon Burge wrote:
> > I'd like to change the skill package to use the new sysctls so that
> > it doesn't need to be installed setgid kmem.  I need to know in the
> > Makefile if ${OS_VERSION} is 1.5 or later - is there an easy way I can
> > do what I want (see the XXXXX bits below)?  I couldn't find an example
> > with a quick glance at other pkgsrc Makefiles.
> > 	.if ${KPROC2} > 0
> > 	MAKE_ENV+=	COPTS=-DKPROC2
> > 	.else
> > 	BINMODE=	02555
> > 	MAKE_ENV+=	BINGRP=kmem COPTS=-DUVM
> > 	.endif
>
> no -DUVM when KPROC2 is enabled?

Oops, I meant to delete that from the non-new case as well - I can't
actually see where -DUVM is used.

Hmm, in fact there's no reason that _any_ version of NetBSD needs to
use UVM or libkvm or setgid kmem - it can call sysctl() directly!  I'll
rewrite the bsd-44.c module altogether then...

> In any case, please make sure you send your changes back to the pkg's
> author.

Yes, I will...

> BTW, another approach would be to let (auto)configure do the detection,
> but I don't know offhands if skill uses that. Might be a suggestion for
> improvement to the author if you send him back your changes. :)

I was going to say that I can determine from inside the C program
whether or not to use the new sysctl's.  The problem was that the
Makefile needs to know whether or not it should set BINMODE and
BINGRP.  Now it doesn't matter :-)

Simon.