Subject: more configure patching fun: LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Dan Winship <danw@helixcode.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/12/2000 15:27:57
99% of the libtool-using packages in the tree have a configure patch
to make it not use the provided libtool. On some of them, it actually
patches it to not run ltconfig, but others run ltconfig and then just
ignore the output.

A few months ago, sakamoto added LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE and
LIBTOOL_OVERRIDE to bsd.pkg.mk to alter ltconfig before configuring,
or alter libtool after. A handful of packages use LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE
now (which replaces ltconfig with a script that symlinks pkglibtool to
./libtool). I'm guessing they're mostly the packages that test libtool
behavior from inside configure. Nothing uses LIBTOOL_OVERRIDE.

I think it would be good to take all of the packages that are
currently patching configure to ignore the provided libtool and make
them use LTCONFIG_OVERRIDE instead.

Pros:
	- one less patch to maintain for each package
	- won't waste time running ltconfig and then ignoring the result
	- consistency

I'm not sure what the cons would be...

I'm willing to make all the changes.

-- Dan