Subject: Re: qt
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/03/2000 09:24:56
On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Apr 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> > > Right, and as qt and qt1 share the same files, qt1 is broken when I
> > > pkg_delete qt.
> > shouldn't be.  I thought I made sure they don't share files.
>
> OIC... $X11BASE/qt1 - how gross. We'll have to patche everything and it's
> mother to detect qt there. Same for qt2.

actually putting QTDIR=.... in your environment and using
--with-qt-dir=.... as a configure argument works for most programs.  The
ones which it didn't work for mostly had the qt path hard coded and had
been patched by us already.

The nasty problem here is that Qt-2 isn't 100% compatible with Qt-1.  So,
for example, KDE right now doesn't work with Qt-2.  However, programs
which use Qt are moving towards using Qt-2 and some of them require the
new version (like gtk-1.2 and gtk-1.0......).  Thats what triggered this
whole mess.  We shouldn't have anything still pointing at the old Qt.
I've updated all (no fun) pkgs to the new qt pkgs (either qt which is Qt-2
now or qt1 which hopefully will die over the next year).  The final piece
of the transition is to see which pkgs which now point to qt1 can work
with qt2 so we can get away from it as quickly as possible.

-Dan