Subject: Re: update all, docs, binary pkgs, etc questions
To: John Refling <johnr@imageworks.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/22/2000 22:05:14
On Wed, 22 Mar 2000, John Refling wrote:

> 1)  Any way to set the destination of the "gzip'd tar ball"
>     for make package, ie, something with a dirname with the
>     machine architecture (sparc, i386) in it?  Must be some
>     variable we can put in /etc/mk.conf.  I greped thru all
>     pkgsrc/mk/* and didn't find the "gzip'd tar ball" string
>     anywhere, so am at a loss on this one.

This is what I have in /etc/mk.conf:

PACKAGES?=      ${PKGSRCDIR}/packages/${MACHINE_ARCH}

> 2)  Any way to make packages installed for a DESIRED package
>     be automatically uninstalled, once the DESIRED package is
>     built (assuming that the dependent package is not needed
>     at runtime of the DESIRED package, of coarse).

Presumably, all the DEPENDS packages _are_ needed at runtime. Only the
BUILD_DEPENDS are not.

>     I think the problem (as was pointed
>     out) is the difficulty of mapping the package name from
>     pkg_info (eg, tex-3.12321321) into its [future] build
>     directory, eg, print/tex.

pkg_info -b _package_ | grep Makefile | cut -f "-2" -d "/"

But this doesn't take into account that you may want to use a
different directory to upgrade than the one you first installed from
(consider -current, -socks &c. variations).

> 5)  Why is it that when I downloaded a current pkgsrc and I build
>     I need a more recent pkgtools?  I expected that current pkgtools
>     would be integrated into the current pkgsrc, at least around the
>     time of a new release (1.4.2).

The pkgtools are binaries, so why would they be included with pkgsrc?