Subject: Re: port2pkg question
To: Roger Fischer <rogerf1@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/18/2000 20:27:27
On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Roger Fischer wrote:

> >This, I don't understand. There's no error message! If I were you, I'd
> >fix the DEPENDS, rerun "make clean && make", and see what happens. If
> >no luck, descend into "src" and run "make -n" or "gmake -n" (with
> >perhaps "|less") to see exactly what command make is choking on.
>
> Hmmm I found that there were errors going to the console, that
> did not go into my "tee'd  log".  Strange???

Ahh... your construction fails to catch standard error. I use bash:
"make >& mklog & tail -f mklog" works for me. Pure sh would be more
like "make 2>&1 | tee mklog". A lazy way that works for everyone is
"script mklog" and then proceed--but that picks up everything you
type, including backspaces.

> Here they are, cut and pasted from the terminal window.
>
> max#
> max# make clean && make | tee make4.log

> makedepend: warning:  FmMain.c (reading Fm.h, line 25): cannot find include
> file "alloca.h"
>         not in ../regexp/alloca.h
>         not in /usr/X11R6/include/alloca.h
>         not in /usr/include/alloca.h
>         not in /usr/include/alloca.h

> gcc -O2      -I../regexp -I/usr/X11R6/include   -DCSRG_BASED
> -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO  -DXPM -DMAGIC_HEADERS  -c FmMain.c
> In file included from Am.h:11,
>                  from FmMain.c:31:
> Fm.h:25: alloca.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.

"alloca.h" <ptah> is found in old linux distros. You may be able to
simply patch it out. If not, IIRC, most of what would be found there
is in machine/param.h, which is best pulled in via the addition of
``#include <sys/types.h>'' to the relevant files.