Subject: Re: port2pkg question
To: Roger Fischer <rogerf1@mac.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/18/2000 19:21:46
On Sat, 18 Mar 2000, Roger Fischer wrote:

> I found the xfm-1.3.2 file manager on Linux to be extremely useful.  I
> found version 1.4 on the net at
> http://www.musikwissenschaft.uni-mainz.de/~ag/xfm/ and found that I like it
> even better.  I good lightweight and quick file manager would be great on
> my NetBSD box.

Sounds promising...

> This is where I ran into several problems.
> First, when checking dependencies it did not recognize that I had
> graphics/xpm-3.4k already installed, so it built and tried to install that.

> ===>  Extracting for xfm-1.3.2
> ===>  xfm-1.3.2 depends on package: Xpm.4

"Xpm.4" doesn't match "xpm-3.4k". Instead, use something like...

DEPENDS+=	xpm-*:../../graphics/xpm

> Anyway, I did the make reinstall, which then decided it wanted to
> completely delete my KDE and Mosaic packages and rebuild them.

Yeah, that's a drawback of the present system. In this case, though,
it could have been avoided by setting the DEPENDS line correctly.

> Should I have used the "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER" command?

Not necessarily. Doing so would have lead to lossage when you finally
went to upgrade KDE and Mosaic.

> Anyway...  I finally got to the build part and got more errors.

{snip}

> making all in ./src...
> gcc -O2      -I../regexp -I/usr/X11R6/include   -DCSRG_BASED
> -DFUNCPROTO=15 -DNARROWPROTO  -DXPM -DMAGIC_HEADERS  -c FmMain.c
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1

This, I don't understand. There's no error message! If I were you, I'd
fix the DEPENDS, rerun "make clean && make", and see what happens. If
no luck, descend into "src" and run "make -n" or "gmake -n" (with
perhaps "|less") to see exactly what command make is choking on.