Subject: Re: ghostscript 6.0
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2000 19:49:51
On Thu, Mar 16, 2000 at 01:41:06PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> If there's no pressing reason, i'd love to see this go in as
> print/ghostscript. (Why was this print/ghostscript5 in the first place?)

Because print/ghostscript was gs4.x ? I don't remember the details.
Anyway it can be usefull to have the 2 available for some time, I'm
not sure all the 3rd party drivers have been ported to gs6 yet.

> One thing: gs5 has a BUILD_DEPENDS on jpeg to use it's sources. Can we
> make that go away, and depend on a full installed jpeg package instead of
> fiddling with the pkg's private parts? Would help in unifying *DEPENDS
> syntax... :)

There is mbone/vat which does this with audio/gsm too.
There is a note in the gs6 sources saying it can't use a standart libjpeg
because the jpeg used in postscript documents isn't the standart one, so I'm
not sure this is possible.
A solution would be to have the gs6's package Makefile extract the jpeg sources
in gs6's build tree instead of symlink'ing to the jpeg package.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>