Subject: Re: Changes to the NetBSD Packages Collection in February 2000
To: Olaf Seibert <rhialto@polder.ubc.kun.nl>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2000 10:27:22
Olaf Seibert wrote:

> On Thu 09 Mar 2000 at 07:27:40 -0800, Alistair G. Crooks wrote:
> > Changes to the NetBSD Packages Collection in February 2000
>
> > reading them with cdparanoia. (If you're into that kind of thing,
> > I've heard good reports of libffm giving a 3x speedup to lame on
> > an Alpha).
>
> I get a factor of slightly above 2, but the resulting mp3 file is far
> from identical to before. There is an identical prefix of some
> considerable length on my test file:
>
> track02.cdda.wav.libffm.mp3 track02.cdda.wav.mp3 differ: char 1570351,
> line 6453
>
> but from there on the difference goes on for a while, for a total of
> almost 40 K different bytes.

I wouldn't be overly worried about large numbers of file differences if
you can't pick an audible difference.  Conversion to mp3 is a complex
transform, and even a tiny difference in the algorithm will result in
a wildly different file.  Sucessive versions of bladeenc often produce
different outputs as well.

Simon.