Subject: Troubles getting cdrecord to work..
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: None <deorth@mono.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2000 23:08:23
I'm having difficulty getting my CD-RW drive to work with cdrecord.
Firstly I needed to patch the package source so that an include file
(endian.h) could be found properly on my system, this may or may not
be a general fix.. my system could be in a mixed up state as well.

Anyway, software compiled and installed, and I have no idea what
device I should be using to talk to my CDRW.

dmesg reports the device as :

cd1 at atapibus0 drive 1: <SAMSUNG CD-R/RW DRIVE SW-204B, , BS13> type 5 cdrom r
emovable
cd1: 32-bits data port
cd1: drive supports PIO mode 3, DMA mode 1

The manpage for cd(4) would suggest that this means that the OS only
sees the drive as 'read-only'. I'm willing to accept any pointers people
might have :) I have had no success playing with /dev/cd1* at this point,
nor with any of the mknod device creation scripts that are suggested in
the README.xxxBSD file that comes with the distribution.

I am running NetBSD 1.4.1 on i386, and the cdrecord version is from
the latest pkgsrc/sysutils/cdrecord-current (cdrecord-1.8.1a01).

Please Cc: me on any replies as I'm not subbed to the list.

Many thanks,

Alan