Subject: Tcl/Tk again
To: NetBSD packages <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/01/2000 21:49:40
Hello...

A new Tcl/Tk version is out and I want to switch to it. Therefor I am going
to make a package of it. Last time I tried that with Tcl/Tk 8.2 there was
some resistance. Now I just want to know if it might be different this time...

I think it makes more sense to have tcl instead of tcl80, tk instead of tk80
etc. I do not think it is worth the effort to allow for parallel installations
of several Tcl/Tk versions as most poeple will not use this anyway. Most
packages that depend on Tk need wish, therefor I think it makes sense to
make a link from wish8.3 to wish. All those packages will work at once.

Tkman needs a special patch in Tk. I will integrate that as it has been in
tk80 and as I did in tk (version 8.2). There will arise no problems of this
for other applications. (Or not that I know about...)

I will try to make ical, postgresql, pgaccess, tkinfo, tkirc and probably a
few other things I use to work with the updated Tcl/Tk. I may even check
other packages and send-pr trivial changes.

But I am definitely not interested in doing all this work (esp. for packages
I am not using myself) without a very good chance that the packages make it
into pkgsrc. So, what is needed to get the send-pr'ed changes committed? What
would serve as show stopper?

Thanks in advance for opinions.

Bye,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)