Subject: Re: Variable MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE is recursive.
To: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu, hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de,>
From: None <ezy@panix.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2000 17:38:59
On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 03:33:35PM -0700, Brook Milligan wrote:
>    On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Brook Milligan wrote:
>    > I am trying to clean up a previous installation of the python
>    > package.  When I type `make clean' I get the following message:
>    >
>    > 	Variable MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE is recursive.
>    >
>    > I do not see this in bsd.pkg.mk or in mk.conf and have never run into
>    > this problem before.  Clues welcome.
>
>    No clue. Doesn't happen for me. There was some change to this in rev.
>    1.406, but this should not affect you.
>
>    The message itself is from make(1), which is why you don't see in any of
>    the named files.
>
> The python package Makefile defines DIST_SUBDIR, which means it
> activates the following lines in bsd.pkg.mk (lines 710-713):
>
> .if defined(DIST_SUBDIR)
> MASTER_SITE_BACKUP:=	${MASTER_SITE_BACKUP:=${DIST_SUBDIR}/}
> MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE:=	${MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE:=${DIST_SUBDIR}/}
> .endif

I just ran into this this morning.  I dunno about the recursion, but
there should be a .if defined(MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE) .endif around
the assignment.  If DIST_SUBDIR is defined, it will make
MASTER_SITE_OVERRIDE == "$(DIST_SUBDIR)/" which is not what you want.
I kept having failed make fetch's to "suse63/" :)

Ezra