Subject: Re: py-postgresql package
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2000 11:01:51
Thus spake Brook Milligan
>    > I'm trying to compile the py-postgresql package and get the following
>    > error:
>    >
>    > ===>  Building for py-postgresql-2.4
>    > ld -Bshareable  pgmodule.o  -Wl,-R/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib -L/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib -lpq -lcrypt -o _pgmodule.so
>    > ld: invalid command option `-Wl,-R/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib'
>    > *** Error code 1
>
>    should be '-R/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib' if passed directly to ld.  I started to
>    look into a fix, but just haven't had time to finish.  Feel free to send
>    in a patch if you fix it before someone else does...
>
> So replacing -Wl,-R... with -R... is the fix for a.out?  Will it also
> work with elf?  Or does there need to be a a.out/elf detection
> mechanism included to differentiate the cases?

The thing that confuses me is how does -Wl work with ELF anyway.  If
the Python build uses ld for a.out builds why does it suddenly use cc
(or gcc) for ELF builds?  I am willing to go ahead and fix this as
described but if I don't understand exactly what is happening I'm
afraid to break it for some other case that hasn't been brought up.

Or does ld accept -Wl on newer versions and perhaps it has nothing to
do with a.out vs. ELF.