Subject: Re: zoularis?
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/22/2000 16:05:02
On Sun, 20 Feb 2000 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> anyone have step by step instructions on setting up the package system
> under Solaris?
>
> I'm just a little unsure of the starting point...

Not that I've seen.

The best I've gotten was a snapshot that Alistair sent me. I can dig it
out if you want. It's a bunch of stuff you put into /usr/local/bsd. You
then put /usr/local/bsd/bin at the front of your path.

I'd really love it if we gave the zoularis system a higher profile. Right
now AFAICT it is a poorly-kept secret. :-)

I'm working on something for work where zoularis is a BIG PLUS. We NEED it
to work, and to be readily available. Like on the main web page, etc.

Also the build process for the zoularis tools kinda bites. They are all
coded as a bunch of reachover make files. While that's cool and lets them
leverage work other developers do, it means you need the whole NetBSD
source tree lying around for it to work.

What I'd love to see is for the zoularis source CVS repository to be moved
to the main NetBSD repository (say in localsrc/zoularis). This isn't
because I don't think the current zoularis keepers aren't doing a good
job, it's because I'd like us to have a top-level "zoularis" module. Just
as "src" pulls things from basesrc, gnusrc, sharesrc, etc., zoularis would
pull things from basesrc, localsrc/zoularis, etc.

You could then do something like (assuming I have the anoncvs right):

cvs -d anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot checkout zoularis

and get all that you need but no more to make the zoularis binaries.

Thoughts?

Take care,

Bill