Subject: Re: pkgsrc, http, and websearches
To: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/18/2000 12:18:05
On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Alistair G. Crooks wrote:

> > 	I think we could be losing an opportunity for getting better hits
> > 	in websearches.. :)
> >
> > 	It would be good if people performing a generic websearch such
> > 	as 'download abiword' would hit our pkgsrc page.
> >
> > 	Proposal:
> > 		CAME for pkgsrc to ftp.netbsd.org.
> > 		httpd on 'pkgsrc.netbsd.org' pointing to pkgsrc tree
> > 		Some META tags to each README.html to target websearches
> > 		Lttle more blurb to encourage people to try NetBSD
> > 		Submit the base of the tree to many fine webengines.
> >
> > 	What do people think?
>
> Nice idea.
>
> However, I'd prefer the work "packages" to pkgsrc throughout.
>
> People who don't know about NetBSD would be more likely to search
> on the word "packages" than "pkg" or "pkgsrc". However, I've come to
> like the word "pkgsrc", so maybe there should be a CNAME for that too.

	I tend to use 'pkgsrc' as it identifies it as the NetBSD pkgsrc,
	as opposed to any of a number of packaging system. In the same
	way redhat use 'rpm', or FreeBSD 'ports'. As it is significantly
	more sophisticated, it deserves to be differentiated :)

	I'd be delighted if we could use an offical name of something
	like "pkgsrc - the NetBSD package system" or
	     "The NetBSD package system (pkgsrc)".

	In this case I agree we should be able to access it via
	packages.netbsd.org and pkgsrc.netbsd.org - the only question
	is which is the offical one? (You can guess my vote :)

		David/absolute