Subject: Re: share vs. share/games (vs. /var/games)
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2000 02:31:03
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Miles Nordin wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	Moving the games into $prefix/games would remove the conflict
> > 	between omega and TeX :)
>
> It would remove the conflict reported by the tools, but wouldn't it leave
> behind a subtler problem?  A user would not be able to use both tools,
> since putting $PREFIX/bin and $PREFIX/games in his or her PATH would
> restore the namespace conflict.  Or am I misunderstanding what sort of
> file ``omega'' is--i've never installed those packages.

	The conflict is still there, but we have that in the base system
	with 'banner'.

> I agree with others who have said that games are not less equal than other
> programs and don't deserve this SysV-ish back-of-the-bus-with-you
> segregation. The only way it's not annoying is for people who don't play
> the games.  I confess I'm such a person, but if nobody plays the games and
> thus nobody is annoyed by games/, why install the games at all?

	If we do not do it in the pkg system, then we shouldn't do it in
	the base system with /usr/games.

	I actually like the segregation, as it makes it easy to work out
	what is a game, and when bored you can idly browse for more
	games... :)

		David/absolute