Subject: Re: Five and a half more pkgsrc questions.
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2000 16:46:26
On Mon, Feb 07, 2000 at 01:20:25PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> Then I would guess that you would _not_ want to install those. If the
> interface isn't documented, who else is going to use them?

I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit here, but cdrdao includes
libedc_ecc.a, and a README for it. Personally, my take is to install
the README (as README.edc_ecc), but not the lib.

Overall, the 'use common sense' rule is good, there just happen to
be some uncommon situations.

> > > IMO, it looks better to go with the highest level of abstraction,
> > > INSTALL_DATA_DIR or INSTALL_MAN_DIR, but it's not like you could
> > > usefully override this particular one to set a policy, since many
> > > packages do "mkdir -p ${PREFIX}/man/man1" in their own makefile.
> All I meant was, you can't set a system wide policy by setting
> SHAREGRP, for example, as even if the pkgsrc Makefiles consistently
> used "INSTALL_DATA_DIR" rather than "${MKDIR} ...", many packages
> would still violate the intention by creating their own directories.
> Therefore, it really doesn't matter.

Sorry, I thought I understood, but now I'm confused. You said use the
highest level abstraction (INSTALL_), but then said it doesn't matter?
Certainly we don't want to fix every package in the open source world,
but if we have 'standards' we aim for, we know what we want, and if
a pkg breaks something (and causes a problem) we can justify creating
a patches/* entry to fix it.

> > > I would upgrade wwwoffle to 2.5c, but I'm holding off because I can't
> > > get around the ipv6 patches.
> The upgrade without ipv6 is trivial, and it's not like there's any
> hurry.

I'm working on a script to scan MASTER_SITES for newer versions, to highlight
out-of-date packages.

> What sort of new utility, exactly, do you have in mind?

Something like a new sysinst, or kernel config tool, or curses/X11 pkgsrc
browser...

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown