Subject: Re: Five and a half more pkgsrc questions.
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/07/2000 13:57:18
On Sun, Feb 06, 2000 at 11:52:15PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, David Maxwell wrote:
>
> > 5. static libraries (.a) distributed with a package don't need to
> > be installed when:
> You mean, if dynamic libraries are installed? Then, yes, install the
> static, too, so the choice can be made with flags to "ld".

Specifically I was thinking when a pkg generates .a files which it
doesn't install at all, by default.

> > 6. {INSTALL_MAN_DIR} should be used instead of ${MKDIR} when:
> > (A) Creating ${PREFIX}/share/[docs|examples|man]/X
> IMO, it looks better to go with the highest level of abstraction,
> INSTALL_DATA_DIR or INSTALL_MAN_DIR, but it's not like you could
> usefully override this particular one to set a policy, since many
> packages do "mkdir -p ${PREFIX}/man/man1" in their own makefile.

These are only meant to concern the pkg Makefile. If I write questions
about patching the Makefiles/scripts that come with a package, I'll
specifically ask 'override the...' There are pkgs that MKDIR and
packages that INSTALL_xxx_DIR currently.

> > 8. Packages with options for supporting NetBSD features (i.e. IPV6)
> > should be:
> I wish someone would tell me. :-)
> I would upgrade wwwoffle to 2.5c, but I'm holding off because I can't
> get around the ipv6 patches.

Personally, I think it makes sense to commit, and maybe drop an email
to here... but I want other opinions, not mine ;-)

> > 9. Creating a new pkgsrc category 'exper' to distribute new utilities
> > proposed for future NetBSD releases, or test versions of utilities is:
> "cvs co othersrc/README"

CVS or AnonCVS add a level of complexity, which weeds out a percentage
of people who might try something that is available in pkgsrc.
(Even if one could check it out now.)

Any sufficiently advanced Common Sense will seem like magic...
					      - me