Subject: Re: Five and a half more pkgsrc questions.
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/06/2000 22:58:35
On Sun, 6 Feb 2000, David Maxwell wrote:

> Four and a half design questions, and one odd-ball this time.
>
> 5. static libraries (.a) distributed with a package don't need to
> be installed when:
> (A) Never, they should always be installed
> (B) if unlikely to be used by other packages.
> (C) A or B at packager's discretion (criteria?)
I only do that when I think other pkg's or programs will want it there to
link to later.

> 7. It is acceptable to build X11 optional packages:
> (A) as a text-only package
> (B) as an X-11 only package
> (C) as multiple packages - i.e. Z (no X), Z-gtk, Z-tk, Z-xlib,
> which must CONFLICT, be committed at the same time, and have the same maintainer.
> (D) A and B

you might check out devel/libhfs, sysutils/hfsutils, sysutils/xhfs for an
example.  the hfs libraries have been split to libhfs, the text interface
tools to hfsutils and the X interface to xhfs even thought these were all
part of the same distfile.

-Dan