Subject: Re: Maxi-packages
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2000 19:33:23
On Fri, 4 Feb 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

# On 4 Feb 2000, Martin J. Laubach wrote:
# >   So that package is not buildable/useable on systems without
# > X11, which is what web servers often are. Isn't all that "let's
# > turn on all the options and depend on everything in sight" going
# > a bit overboard?
#
# I don't think so.

For what my meager opinion may be worth, allow me to suggest an
alternative:  why not have x-libs and x-core?  It's entirely
reasonable that an app may make use of the library references
of another package without depending on a binary implementation.
webalizer/X11 is a perfect example of such a situation -- it
doesn't need the X binaries, but it does need the X libraries
(which may or may not need to have the X includes installed; I
seem to remember X11 using a local tree of includes via -Ipath -Ipath...
while it built the libs).

A metapkg should really depend on its parts, I think.  Depending
on EVERYthing really is overblown.

...and going to the other extreme is just as extreme.  pkgizing
every little program in the base distribution is heinous.  Last
I looked, even weenux didn't do that.  That said, I'd still like
to see a pkgized installation.

				--*greywolf;
--
NetBSD: Are you old enough to run it?