Subject: Re: Maxi-packages
To: Martin J. Laubach <mjl@nospam.office.emsi.priv.at>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/04/2000 08:14:45
Thus spake Martin J. Laubach
>   So that package is not buildable/useable on systems without
> X11, which is what web servers often are. Isn't all that "let's
> turn on all the options and depend on everything in sight" going
> a bit overboard?

I find myself installing X on servers that are locked up in cages just
so that I can build all the packages I need.  For example, I install
the gd package so that I can build nice graphs on our web server but
I certainly don't expect to ever display it on the server itself.  They
are strictly for serving to web browsers.

How about a mk.conf variable like BUILD_WITHOUT_X or something that
each package can use to decide whether to build in X support.  Using the
negative connotation as I have done here makes X built in by default.
That way normal installations get all the features but people building
servers have the option.