Subject: Re: Suggested change to README.html generation: tables for binaries
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/10/1999 00:33:26
Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net> writes:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, T. M. Pederson wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 7 Nov 1999 09:21:11 -0500 (EST) mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu  wrote:
> > >alpha:
> > >	1.4     mpg123-0.59q
> > >
> > >amiga:
> > >	1.4     mpg123-0.59q
> > >	1.3.3   mpg123-0.59o
> > >	1.3     mpg123-0.59k
> > >
> > >etc..
>
>   I like this.

As a religious lynx/w3 user, it's done with tables, I DON'T. Below
I present the appropriate way to do things (this is much more flexible).

<dl>
<dt>alpha
<dd>
<dl>
<dt>1.4
<dd>
<ul>
<li>mpg123-O.59q
<li>mpg123-O.59o
<li>mpg123-O.59q
</ul>
</dl>
</dl>

>   This version takes up much less horizontal space then the <PRE> version
> while still doing some alignment on graphical browsers and looking
> reasonable on text browsers.  Useing just two columns, one for the port
> and one for the versions, keeps the text on one screen while still

This is an egregious hack. lynx, w3, w3m, etc ARE table aware, they just
render tables either incredibly poorly, or in a way which is extremely
hard to read. Whether <PRE> etc renders into something decent is really
a shot in the dark.

Cheers,
Julian.