Subject: Re: Suggested change to README.html generation: tables for binaries
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: T. M. Pederson <salvage@galaxy.plethora.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/09/1999 11:14:38
>Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net> writes:

>>   I like this.
>
>As a religious lynx/w3 user, it's done with tables, I DON'T. Below
>I present the appropriate way to do things (this is much more flexible).
>
><dl>
><dt>alpha
><dd>
><dl>
><dt>1.4
><dd>
><ul>
><li>mpg123-O.59q
><li>mpg123-O.59o
><li>mpg123-O.59q
></ul>
></dl>
></dl>

I use lynx heavily too, especially when checking the Packages collection,
but this is the Wrong Way to do things.  We're not looking at a Definition
List here, so <dl> should not be used.  Even if it generates the kind of
layout you want on most browsers, it's best not to lie about what kind
of data is there.

Tables (and, to a lesser(?) degree, Unordered Lists) really are the Right
Way to organize this data.  We just need a decent way to make them degrade
gracefully in the simpler browsers.
--
T. M. Pederson
salvage@galaxy.plethora.net