Subject: Re: Suggested change to README.html generation: tables for binaries
To: T. M. Pederson <salvage@galaxy.plethora.net>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 11/08/1999 20:22:04
On Sun, 7 Nov 1999, T. M. Pederson wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Nov 1999 09:21:11 -0500 (EST) mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu  wrote:
> >alpha:
> >	1.4     mpg123-0.59q
> >
> >amiga:
> >	1.4     mpg123-0.59q
> >	1.3.3   mpg123-0.59o
> >	1.3     mpg123-0.59k
> >
> >etc..

  I like this.

> Filler (like &nbsp;) in the version field could keep things to fixed
> width, but I'm not sure that's the Right Way to do it.

  &nbsp; is definitely the wrong way.  Since graphical browsers rarely
default to fixed-with fonts, this does not actually work.  If fixed-width
through whitespace is desired, this should be done with <PRE>:
http://www.pgh.net/~darkstar/mpg123-pre.html

  This has the advantage of looking the same on all browsers and being
easy to generate.

  Hmmm, perhaps it would be better to just list the versions in a
table (with just the NetBSD version number linking to the package):

alpha: 1.4-0.59q
amiga: 1.4-0.59q 1.3.3-0.59o 1.3-0.59k
http://www.pgh.net/~darkstar/mpg123-vtable.html

  This version takes up much less horizontal space then the <PRE> version
while still doing some alignment on graphical browsers and looking
reasonable on text browsers.  Useing just two columns, one for the port
and one for the versions, keeps the text on one screen while still
aligning the versions info for graphical browsers.  Since the link text is
different then normal text on any browser, it is still easy to pick out
your version from the list.  It should also be fairly easy to code.

  I usually download binary packages from lynx, so I hope that a
text-friendly version is used, whatever it may be.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net