Subject: packages directory
To: David Brownlee <abs@mono.org>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/28/1999 21:37:31
the current default package directory (ie where the binary package shows
up when you do 'make package') is

${PKGSRCDIR}/packages

which is usually /usr/pkgsrc/packages

I propose that this be changed to

/usr/pkgsrc/packages/${OS_VERSION}/${MACHINE_ARCH}

for example, '/usr/pkgsrc/packages/1.4.1/sparc' on a 1.4.1 sparc machine.
This matches the layout on ftp.netbsd.org and this way the default
behaviour is one that is compatible with multiple machine architectures
and multiple os versions using the same pkgsrc tree.

as always, this can be overridden in /etc/mk.conf.

I'll give it about a day or so and unless I get major objections, make the
change.

as a note, I thought about only making the directory change if OBJMACHINE
is set (which is what changes 'work' to 'work.${MACHINE_ARCH}'), but
there's still the issue of OS_VERSION, plus I agree that its nice for the
default to work in more cases.

-Dan

 On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	I'd actually prefer to see the ${PACKAGES} default to include
> 	${MACHINE_ARCH}, and even ${OS_VERSION}, as in the directories on
> 	ftp.netbsd.org.
>
> 	It may annoy some people who are already making binary packages,
> 	but it will ensure The Right Thing happens if people use a
> 	mixture of architectures or os versions.

in /etc/mk.conf set: