Subject: Re: qt & GIF [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 10/04/1999 23:34:53
[gif in qt]
feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de said:
> Um, why is this disabled? I haven't checked this out (no troute to
> cvs-server :-/), but is there some "write GIF" support in qt? If it's
> just for reading, it should be on (unconditionally, IMHO).

Don't know about write support. Troll seems to believe that
even the reading of GIF might cause licensing problems, and they
are going to remove GIF support completely from Qt in future
versions, according to their comments in README and qt_gif.h:
** WARNING:
**      A separate license from Unisys may be required to use the gif
**      reader. See http://corp2.unisys.com/LeadStory/lzwfaq.html
**      for information from Unisys

So I thought it's in Troll's spirit to keep this optional.

best regards
Matthias